skip to main | skip to sidebar

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thinkers VS Doers

"They say there are two types of people in the world: Thinkers and Doers. And I'd like to prove that you can be both."

- Annika Truebenbach

Here I am tandem skydiving with Skydive San Diego. (8.3.13)

You, my dear readers, may be wondering what my life's motto means.

"How can you be both a thinker AND a doer?"

It's not easy. As an introverted person with extroverted fantasies, it can be hard to connect the thinking part of my brain to the doing. But I persevere. And in the two years since I've adopted this policy, I find myself happier than I've ever been before.
 
Here's how it works:


Every day, I read about and talk to people who are unsatisfied with their lot in life.

"I envy you. You're so lucky! Wish I had a mindset like yours.."

To which I always reply, YOU DO. Let me repeat that, YOU DO.

See, the problem is that we let ourselves get tricked into thinking we, as people, have to be able to fit into a category. (Right brain vs left brain, nerd vs jock, smart vs dumb, etc.) If we force ourselves into the idea of "thinkers vs doers", here's how I figure it plays out:

People who place themselves in the "thinker" mindset will often discuss all of the amazing things they're going to do in life, plan it out the best they can, and then what? They'll talk, and talk, and talk, and talk it out until they feel prepared enough to go for it. But most of these thinkers, at the last moment, will talk themselves out of doing it. Why? Because they over-think the situation. Thinkers lack the drive to DO things, and therefore miss out because they'd rather stick with the familiar rather than the foreign.

On the other hand, we have the "doer" mindset. Ready to dive off the cliff at a moment's notice, party 'til the break of dawn, and still have time to rock the business world with all the things they do. At first, this seems better than the "thinker" mindset. After all, at least the "doers" are doing things right? Wrong. The problem with doers is that they will do just about anything - good, or bad. A doer often ends up in the police station, because getting a photo with Captain Morgan on the roof of the bar seemed like a good idea at the time. Doers lack the drive to THINK things through before doing them, and therefore get into trouble with their antics.

So I asked myself, why do we continue to perpetuate these ideals?

In answer, I threw the expectations of society away, and wrote my own ideals. I truly believe that you can think about something, plan it out to the best of your ability, and then get out there and do it.

And I encourage you all to do the same.

0 thoughts :

Post a Comment